When you buy a bathtub caddy from bamboo, you should know how to clean and maintain it right to use this unique device as much as possible. But someday you may think can bamboo trays mold? How to clean a bamboo tray? Mold, bacteria, strange color are all that can ruin the nice feeling from the spa at home. Therefore, we put together all the tips about the maintenance and care of bamboo bathtub cady trays.
This Bamboo Bathtub Caddy is made of bamboo and consists of all of the unique features and functions you want. Here are extra details about this product:
- It comes in numerous designs to match every customer’s style.
- Safely and easily keep your glass of wine, pill, or book accessible with this beautiful bamboo bathtub caddy. In particular, you’ll love the wine glass holder.
- It’s designed to serve a variety of functions and has several slots for holding your pills or e-book reader at the perfect angle for reclining within the bathtub or spa.
- The bamboo bathtub caddy is adjustable to fit any tub or Jacuzzi. Great for occasional relaxing or day to day use.
- The bamboo bathtub caddy is attractive, eco-friendly, easy to move, and easy to store. The arms slide in and the reading rack folds down.
- This bamboo bathtub caddy is a luxury product. It will make an ideal gift for a special loved one.
What can cause a mold growth
A bamboo gets moldy because of several reasons. Surface mold on bamboo products will definitely occur if you do not know how to clean and maintain your bamboo bathtub organizer tray. But what are the reasons for mold growth? We put together the most common.
Fungus originates from very fine, air-borne spores present in fruit bodies and causes the biological degradation of bamboo. They nourish the starch and other carbohydrates (sugar) that are present in bamboo culms. At an advanced stage, their damage will show on the surface of the bamboo.
Just as almost any other living thing on this planet, the fungus needs to breathe. Limiting that supply of oxygen will retard their growth. Some fungi though can survive on very low levels of oxygen as long as there is a high presence of moisture.
Moisture and temperature
All fungi are growth when the environment is too humid. 40-80% is the best moisture level for their rapid growth. Fungus feels most comfortable at temperatures between 25°C to 35°C. Therefore, you should be extremely careful and check these moments to be sure that you are safe.
Types of fungi that attack bamboo
There are several types of fungi that can be really dangerous not only for your items but also for health. To eliminate mold you should know all the details about the type, cause, and prevention of fungi.
These bamboo molds grow on the surface and at the cross-ends of bamboo culms. Although they look spectacular, they have no influence on the strength of the bamboo and can be wiped off easily.
These bamboo fungi can penetrate round bamboos from cross-cut ends as well as from cuts at the nodes after removal of the branches. The attack is indicated by shades of blue/grayish-black discoloration on the surface in the form of spots and streaks. It reduces the aesthetic appearance but does not affect the strength properties of bamboo (except in severe cases of attack).
These bamboo fungi cause the most serious kind of damage and grow within the lumen of the cells. The enzymes either decompose only the cellulose and hemicellulose leaving behind the lignin leading to brown rot, or they decompose lignin leading to white rot (white rot is more common in bamboo than brown rot). Early decay is difficult to detect. Even before the slight color change or weight loss becomes apparent, the strength properties are much reduced, in particular the impact and bending strength. Early damage can be characterized by dampness in bamboo. At later stages of deterioration, the culm is soft to the touch and may be only a fibrous or powdery mass.
How to properly clean your bamboo bathtub caddy
- Wash your bamboo bath caddy with soapy water. After washing your bamboo bathtub caddy, dry completely with a towel and allow it to air dry. Oiling is necessary to maintain its shine and durability.
- You may also use ph neutral floor cleanser or oil soap to smooth the bamboo tub caddy and then remove the soap with a humid soft cloth and towel dry.
- You also can use a mixture of vinegar and water; add ¼ cup of vinegar to one quart of water. Simply wipe your caddy down with a cloth that has been dampened in the mixture. The vinegar scent dissipates quickly or you may add essential oil for a pleasant scent. We recommend lavender oil as it’s antiseptic and has a calming scent!
- You may also use a few drops of mild dish cleaning soap added to a half-gallon of water. Use a soft sponge or cloth dampened with the solution and wipe your caddy down. A smooth toothbrush may be used for difficult-to-reach spots.
- A few drops of linseed oil, or flaxseed oil, on a dry cloth will add a shine to your bamboo caddy and help maximize its years of use.
- Put the bamboo tub caddy within the dishwasher. The warmth and water will cause the wood to warp and void warranties from most manufacturers.
- Dunk or allow the caddy to stand in water. The wood will soak up water and warp.
- Use bleach. This will stain the caddy and/or excessively dry the wood.
- Leave a wet bamboo caddy flat to dry. If the board dries on only one side, it will cause the bamboo to warp.
How to get rid of mold
The most effective way to effectively remove mold on bamboo is some cleaning products available in the market. But, unfortunately, they are really full of chemicals that can be harmful to your health. Alternative methods with lemon oil or vinegar could also do the trick. Remove bamboo mold, white spores, and mildew with a soft brush and clean up the area with a damp cloth. Use lemon oil or a solution of vinegar and water to remove the mold. Make sure though, to first clean the item with turpentine and to dry it out completely. If you don't, mold might grow underneath the polyurethane finish and cause blisters.
The best recipe is:
Step 2. Add 2 tsp. liquid dish soap and mix until all of the water is soapy and sudsy.
Step 3. Put the bathtub caddy tray in the sink\bowl and scrub it with the soapy water until it looks clean.
Step 4. Rinse the bathtub caddy with clear water.
Step 5. Fill a spray bottle with 1 cup of water and 3 tbsp. white vinegar.
Step 6. Spray the solution over the caddy and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Step 7. Wipe the bathtub caddy tray with a paper towel and let it air dry.
The maintenance of a bamboo bathtub caddy tray
A bathroom is a place where the air is too humid, which is why fungi grow extremely fast. Therefore, you should follow all the steps to keep your organizer tray clean and in good condition as much as possible. We hope, our tips will help you to achieve great results.